If the relevant provisions of the 1999 Constitution are anything to go by, the immediate past Rivers state Governor, Rotimi Amaechi can become a Minister without undergoing Senate Screening.
A cursory look at section 147 of the Nigerian Constitution states clearly that should the Senate refuse to confirm or reject a ministerial nominee within twenty-one working days of the receipt of such nomination by the President, such nominee automatically becomes a Minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
For the avoidance of doubts we quote the relevant section 147.
147. (1) There shall be such offices of Ministers of the Government of the Federation as may be established by the President.
(2) Any appointment to the office of Minister of the Government of the Federation shall, if the nomination of any person to such office is confirmed by the Senate, be made by the President.
(3) Any appointment under subsection (2) of this section by the President shall be in conformity with the provisions of section 14(3) of this Constitution:-
provided that in giving effect to the provisions aforesaid the President shall appoint at least one Minister from each State, who shall be an indigene of such State.
(4) Where a member of the National Assembly or of a House of Assembly is appointed as Minister of the Government of the Federation, he shall be deemed to have resigned his membership of the National Assembly or of the House of Assembly on his taking the oath of office as Minister.
(5) No person shall be appointed as a Minister of the Government of the Federation unless he is qualified for election as a member of the House of Representatives.
(6) An appointment to any of the offices aforesaid shall be deemed to have been made where no return has been received from the Senate within twenty-one working days of the receipt of nomination by the Senate.
In this case, should the Senate keeps on postponing or delaying Amaechi’s screening, reputable constitutional lawyers are of the opinion that then Upper Chamber is doing him a favour.
There is a reason why countries like the United States and United Kingdom maintain bicameral legislatures. While some might argue that the US is so large and will want equal ...
By Kolade Gbolagade
Ahead of today’s screening of the immediate past Governor of Rivers State, Rt Hon Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi; Senate Majority Leader, Senator Ali Ndume, yesterday, criticised senators elected on ...
The People’s Democratic Party, PDP in Rivers State has regarded the letter written by the immediate past Governor of the State, Mr Rotimi Amaechi, urging the Senate President, Dr. Bukola ...
By Kolade Gbolagade
The National Assembly Election Tribunal led by Justice M.O Adewara in Enugu State has nullified the election of Gilbert Nnaji of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP). Mr. Nnaji was ...
It was with great relief that I received the news of the All Progressives Congress (APC) acceptance to work with Bukola Saraki and Yakub Dogara as Senate President and Speaker ...
If the statement credited to the Senate leader, Ali Ndume, is anything to go by, then we can authoritatively report that the embattled former governor of Rivers state, Rotimi Amaechi ...
After all the drama characterising the screening of those who are to work with President Muhammadu Buhari as ministers, the Nigerian senate in performing its constitutionally-assigned duty cleared all those ...
On Saturday, December 10, 2016 Rivers state citizens will vote those who will occupy the State and National Assembly seats that were declared vacant by the Independent National Electoral Commission ...
The People’s Democratic Party, PDP has reportedly instructed its senators to do all it can to stop the confirmation of former Rivers Governor, Rotimi Amaechi as Minister of the Federal ...
It has been revealed that the inability of the Senate to undertake the screening process of former Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi for the federal cabinet is due to growing opposition against him within the ranks ...
A Senate Without Order, By Olalekan Waheed Adigun
PDP senators cannot stop Amaechi
Amaechi’s letter to Saraki lacks logic- PDP
PDP Loses Senate Seat in Enugu
The APC and the National Assembly Drama
Amaechi Will be Screened and Confirmed as Minister
Ministerial Screening and the Dance of Shame, By
Rivers Re-Run Election: Who Wins This Battle?
PDP Has Fresh Plans to Stop Amaechi’s Ministerial
APC Behind Amaechi’s Ministerial Screening Postponement